No-Glue Method To Seal Jigsaw Puzzles
To glue or not to glue......One of the most common questions with jigsaw puzzles is, 'How to Glue A Jigsaw Puzzle?' If you are interested in reading more about gluing your puzzle then CLICK HERE
BUT .....what if you do not want to go the traditional 'glued puzzle' route because it is time consuming and could be messy.....both of which I do not like ;) So.......
I will share my method and an alternative IDEA that you may like to use. I get great feedback on my method because it is very low cost and preserves your puzzle for many many years......It's also quick, easy and FUN!.... read on.........
So often many great puzzles do not make it to the wall because frames are costly or sizes are simply not available. I have bought second-hand frames from Thrift stores and painted them with colours that blend nicely with the puzzle colours. But I do not frame all my jigsaw puzzles. They look just as nice on the wall in a poster-board format too.
Scroll down for FREE download-printable version of this article.
Here's what I have done with SEVERAL of my puzzles I keep:
- Two Poster Boards (very low cost at Dollar Stores)
- Clear packing tape (very low cost at Dollar Stores)
- Any brand of clear heat-shrink plastic for windows
- Scotch tape
- Completed jigsaw puzzle (shaped or not)
- Scissors, cutting tools
- Hair blowdryer
- When the puzzle is completed and assuming you put it together on top of a poster board, place a 2nd poster board over the top of the completed puzzle and carefully (and I mean very carefully) flip the puzzle over. Once the puzzle is flipped on it's back (back is faced up to you) you can run wide clear tape across the back of the puzzle in strips. You can buy this packing tape at the Dollar type stores for a very low cost.
- I prefer to cover the entire back but you may just want to be sure all the pieces are caught by the wide tape. (So if you choose to remove the tape on the puzzle in the future it will cause less disruption to the back of the puzzle pieces.)
- Now that you have (a) completed the puzzle, (b) flipped it over, (c) put wide tape across the entire back - cut your poster board to the exact size of your puzzle. Your puzzle will be mounted to the puzzle-foam board for back support.
- Next cut a sheet of clear window heat shrink wrap plastic that is 3 to 4 inches bigger than the puzzle/puzzle-foam-board all the way around. Place the cut plastic over the front face of the puzzle - then flip the puzzle and foam board over together.
- Now scotch tape small pieces of tape to the back of the foam board to keep the plastic in place and tuck/tack/tape down the corners nicely on the back. So now you have your puzzle lying on top of your puzzle foam board with both wrapped in heat-shrink wrap plastic that is taped on the back to hold it in place.
- With the plastic wrap taught (not too tight) over the front of the puzzle and taped down with the scotch tape on the back, proceed to cover the entire back with the wide tape again for the 2nd time.
- Next take your household hair-blow dryer and gently (high-hot) heat the front of the puzzle so all the (shrinking action) wrinkles are removed from the front of the puzzle leaving it shiny smooth. Run the blow dryer along the edges and then the back of the puzzle/foam board to seal it up good.
- At this point you may place a wall hanger of your choice to the back of the puzzle (without putting a frame on it) and hang it on your wall. These are not really heavy puzzles but be certain to have a good wall hanger. Also, IF the jigsaw puzzle should happen to fall down there will be little damage and it will last a lifetime on your wall.....I have a few that are over 30 years old....oops my age is showing ;)
Here's a sample of the Snowman Delight showing the front and back.....
I hope this helps to see more great jigsaw puzzles on your walls.....I know I enjoy seeing mine and even rotate my seasonal one too.
HEADS UP: OUR POSTS MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS! IF YOU BUY SOMETHING THROUGH ONE OF THOSE LINKS, YOU WON'T PAY A PENNY MORE, BUT WE'LL GET A SMALL COMMISSION, WHICH HELPS KEEP THE POWER ON FOR THE COMPUTER. THANKS (Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API)